Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Credit Woes

Unbelievably I began getting collection calls and letters in the mail last week. "The Fixer" and I have near perfect credit so I could not even fathom what was going on. I began to investigate. My first instinct was that my personal information was compromised through my job...the company sent out letters stating 95,000 names, addresses and soc sec numbers were lost on a laptop. I didn't receive the letter, but still.... I called and they confirmed I WAS NOT compromised. Step two: I began calling the collection agencies and the companies who hired them to get to the bottom. They kept hanging up on me even though I was being REALLY nice. I began to panic and put a fraud alert on my credit to stop any activity. My points went from the 800s to the 600s in a month. Then I began on the credit reporting agencies. You can not get ahold of a live person UNLESS you buy a credit report. Luckily I still had one free annual report left to me this year so I printed it. 13 collections on it! AHHHH. I called the 1-800 number for disputes after searching the report and finding a name and soc sec number NOT MINE attached to my report. The name was very close to my maiden name, her current address is an old apartment building I lived in 15 years ago. That is where the similarities stop. As soon as a live person got on the phone and I began to explain my problem she stopped me and said she saw the problem clearly and deleted all the collections, the wrong name, the wrong soc sec number and the wrong addresses. She said my credit was fixed. Seems too easy and I still feel very afraid. I think I'll bite the bullet and pay for a years worth of credit watch...

No comments: